Sunday, May 31, 2015

Location Location Location

So it's been a busy time for Ashe and I with the summer season coming upon us!

We've had two big steps forward!

The first:

I've not only managed to get his mane roached on my own accord, he even let me run the mini clippers up his neck to fix it up. Granted the initial cutting was with scissors, but the fact that he stood there while I buzzed up and down the sides and the top to even it out is a HUGE step forward. I'm almost ready to invest in a good pair of clippers to do his legs and mane from now on!

Still a bit rough but looking handsome!

The second:

You all know his fear of hoses. And the fact that we'll get some progress in and then suddenly he's pulling back and running away and generally making my life difficult and very wet.

Well after talking to his previous owner I found out that her lesson students would just cross tie him in the wash stall and hose him down despite his issues, I decided to give it a go. I'm not a huge fan of the new inside wash stall's location, just off the riding ring, but I figured it'd be worth a try.

Stinker Ashe stood there (eye's big as saucers) the entire time I hosed him down and not once did he bolt, spin around, etc. He also was not cross-tied because I was a bit nervous that he'd slip and fall if he panicked while tied. I'm going to try bathing him next in that area and I'll just have to make sure he's pretty dried off before heading into the ring sand.

Maybe I can use this as a baby step to getting him okay with bathing outside. Fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment